Welcome to Your Guide to a Healthy Ramadan 2017:
I am a registered dietitian, located in Greater Toronto Area, Canada – and I am dedicated to helping Muslims eat better and live healthy, disease free lives. I am also a Muslim, who has lived in countries like Kuwait, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, India, USA and Canada; this cultural diversity has taught me many different aspects of food and its ethnic significance in Ramadan.
- Have you experienced headaches, dizziness or heartburn during your fasts in Ramadan?
- Did – low energy levels, tea/coffee withdrawals or smoking withdrawals – ever stop you from having a productive month of Ramadan?
- Do you try to drink as much water as your bladder can hold before Fajr or before bedtime?
- Do you feel you tend to spend most of your time preparing meals instead of spending time in Ibaadah?
- Do you need help planning your meals for Ramadan?
- Would you like to manage your body weight and health during this Ramadan?
- Are you at risk of high cholesterol or diabetes and want to learn how to eat healthy in Ramadan?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you will find this guide helpful.
This guide is designed to help you and your family find healthful and ready-to-use strategies to apply daily in preparation for the long fasts in Ramadan.
Chapter 1: What You Will Need to Get Started!
Chapter 2-3: Improving Sleep, Sunlight, Sitting and overall welbeing
Chapter 4: Ways to Prevent Headaches & Heartburn
Chapter 5: Choose the Right Protein to Nourish your Fasts
Chapter 6: Dairy Products And Lactose Intolerance
Chapter 7: Rice, bread, Noodles, Pasta – choose “whole” types of each grain.
Chapter 8: Choose the Right Fruits, Juices and Desserts
Chapter 9: Complete your plate with these ingredients
Chapter 10: Help your fasts, weight and cholesterol by fats
Chapter 11: Meal Planning for Iftaar, Sahoor and Dinner
Chapter 12: Let’s makeover your traditional Iftaar dishes: Pakoda, Samosa, Falooda, Sherbets, Chaats
Chapter 13: Drink Enough Water – Aim for 8 – 12 cups within a 7 hour time frame (or the length of your night till dawn)
Chapter 14: Foods to Eat at Sahoor
Chapter 15: Modify ingredients to make dishes healthy: Biryani, Harees, Haleem, Mansaf etc.
Chapter 16: Let’s go shopping now
Chapter 17: Makeover you fridge, freezer and pantry
I’d love to hear back from you since this is designed JUST for YOU! I will be sure to address these concerns in future emails. Share your Feedback here
Feel free to also share these tips with your family and friends and also help them get ready for this Ramadan.
Thank You. Message from your personal Dietitian,