Steps to a Happier, Healthier, Belly
You’ve probably heard the word ‘probiotic’ before, from kombucha to kefir, they appear time and time again — but what exactly are they?
What are Probiotics?
Your body has trillions of bacteria — both good and bad. The good bacteria (also known as ‘gut flora’) keep your GI train running smoothly, as well as support your immune system and regulate inflammation in your body. You want to keep these good guys alive! But certain things are good bacteria killers. Here are a few to keep an eye out for:
- Excess sugar
- Antibiotic prescription medication
It’s not always possible to avoid the above things, but that’s where probiotic supplements can step in and help keep your body’s gut flora in balance.
What are the Benefits of Probiotics?
There has been a growing body of research suggesting that probiotics can not only improve the digestive process, but have myriad positive health effect, including:
- Stronger immune system
- Supported weight loss
- Fewer seasonal allergies
- Relief from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Lower cholesterol
- Decreased anxiety
What Should You Do Now?
All those health benefits sound great, but how do you actually take advantage of them? If you’re new to probiotics, here’s where to begin:
- Start small. Taking a high dosage right away can lead to unpleasant side effects, like cramping or bloating, so to avoid these, start with a lower dosage and build up as your body gets used it
- Take probiotics with a meal. Eating raises the pH level in your stomach, which means more good bacteria can make it through to your gut.
- Get your prebiotics in. Prebiotics are carbohydrates or sugars that normal human gut flora has a hard time breaking down — but probiotics love them! These include onions, garlic, bananas, asparagus, among others.
- Eat a healthy diet. Supplements alone are not an adequate replacement for can replace a nutrient-rich diet, so make sure you’re eating whole fruits and vegetables to allow the probiotics to do their job!
- Keep your routine up. Taking your probiotics on a regular schedule can keep you regular as well. You have to keep taking them to continue to reap the benefits!
Which Probiotic Supplement Should You Take?
Although each person’s body and personal preferences are different, the team at Reviews.com conducted a thorough study of the top performing probiotics on the market. You can see their full review and recommendations here: http://www.reviews.com/probiotic-supplement/
If you enjoyed reading this and would like to get advice like this please sign-up, and you will receive weekly emails with actionable advice you can follow right away. Get FREE advice by clicking here!
Which Probiotic foods or supplements do you use?