You’ve probably always made Shepherds pie with potatoes and meat, how about switching it a bit and replace the potatoes with cauliflower instead. This automatically cuts away the carbs (potatoes) and adds a serving of cauliflower. For a much healthier option replace the ground lamb with ground chicken. Each portion provides ½ a serving of meats, and 1 serving of veggies food group. The recipe has a significant amount of vitamins A, C, B6, B12, Riboflavin, and Niacin. Check it out and let us know in the comments below on how you like this!
Check the nutrition facts panel (on the right) for detailed nutrition information, the daily value numbers in red indicates that the recipe has high amounts of nutrient that you need to be cautious of (fat, sodium or cholesterol) and the green indicates that this recipe has a healthy amount of the ingredients you need. Use the table to keep track of your daily intake of calories, nutrients and vitamins and ensure you check the serving size on the panel to control your portions.
2 Tbsp Non- hydrogenated Margarine
2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
½ head Cauliflower
1 pound Minced Lamb or Beef, very lean
1 cup Vegetable broth, low sodium
3 Tbsp Whole wheat flour
1 Onion, diced
2 Carrots, diced
1 cup Peas
1 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil the cauliflower florets until they become tender. Once tendered, add the florets, and margarine into a blender. Blend until a smooth paste is formed. Add salt and pepper for flavoring.
- Heat the broth
- Sauté onions and carrots using olive oil. Add the ground lamb, while stirring and breaking the meat into smaller pieces.
- While stirring add the wheat flour, and hot broth, and continue to cook until a thick gravy forms
- Add peas, salt, and pepper
- Transfer the mixture into a casserole dish
- Spread the cauliflower paste over the meat.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Use the parsley as garnishing.
This Recipe is Adapted and Modified from the recipe at Holistic Squid .