Enjoy this amazing vegetable appetizer to accompany your meals to add an extra serving of veggies. This recipe has excellent sources of Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Calcium, and Folate. One cup of this recipe contains 3 servings of vegetables. To reduce the saturated fat choose lower fat cheese for Mozzarella and Parmesan.
Check the nutrition facts panel (on the right) for detailed nutrition information, the daily value numbers in red indicates that the recipe has high amounts of nutrient that you need to be cautious of (fat, sodium or cholesterol) and the green indicates that this recipe has a healthy amount of the ingredients you need. Use the table to keep track of your daily intake of calories, nutrients and vitamins and ensure you check the serving size on the panel to control your portions.
2 large Eggs
¾ cup Breadcrumbs, plain, dry
¾ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
2 tsp Parmesan cheese, for topping
1 tsp Oregano, dried
½ tsp Basil, dried
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
2 large Eggplants, peeled, sliced into ½ inch rounds
6 cups Tomato sauce, chunky
1 ½ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat then oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons of water. In another bowl combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- First dip the eggplant slices in the egg mixture, and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure that the slices are thoroughly coated
- Coat 2 baking sheets with oil, and bake the eggplants until they appear brown (20-25 minutes). Then turn the slices over and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes
- Remove the eggplants from the oven and increase the temperature to 400 degrees
- Using a 9 by 13 inch baking dish, spread 2 cups of tomato sauce, followed by half of the eggplants. Top it off with 2 more cups of the sauce and ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Lastly, add 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese as a topping
- Bake until sauce bubbles and cheese has melted (15-20 minutes)
Recipe source: MarthaStewart.com